Last Saturday morning I arose early like I do nearly every weekend. Instead of heading out to LHS to run a few loops with the LRC gang I headed east to Camden. On this date last year I received my first DNF in any registered sporting event. At mile 25.3 of the Tour de Camden bike ride I wrecked. This not only ended the TdC but also my year long preparation for the 2010 Ironman Florida . The outcome of the wreck was being knocked out, a couple cracked ribs and shattering my clavicle into 5 pieces.
As I scheduled training events for this years Ironman I knew I needed to include the TdC. I really didn't want to but I "needed" to. I had desired to drive down to Camden and do the course as one of my training rides earlier but that never happened. So now here I was again three weeks before the IM heading down to see if I could erase that DNF and possibly some uneasy feelings that have existed for the last year. I have been very anxious about this ride for several weeks now.
I had heard that several of the Ironman Florida participants from the midlands area were going to Camden to get in one last long ride. Included in that group were two Good Samaritans, Cindy and Craig. As far as I know they were the only riders in Camden last year who knew who I was. We didn't know each other very well but we had met. Both of them unselfishly stopped and aided me after the wreck. Cindy made the dreaded call to inform Jackie of the accident. Their further assistance, just like the remainder of that day, is still a mystery to me. We may not be the best of friends but I can't see Cindy without giving her a hug.
As I began to prepare my gear the night before I first checked the weather forecast. It was supposed to be fairly cool in the morning. I haven't had too many cool rides lately so I had to dig out a few items to keep me warm. I pulled out a long sleeved shirt to wear under my favorite 7-Up jersey, noticing holes on the back of the jersey that were a result of last years crash. I remember telling the nurse tech at the hospital "please don't cut off my jersey." They managed to pull it down over my hips and legs. I looked for my new blue light weight jacket but was unsuccessful. I did however find the identical neon yellow jacket that Jackie bought me to replace the one that was shredded by the asphalt. It was the only snug light jacket that I had. It was déjà vu when I pulled out my battle scarred toe warmers and the full fingered gloves that protected my hands when I hit the road last year.
The IM Florida group were all planning on riding the 50 mile course twice, but Jackie and I had been invited to go see Styx at the SC State Fair with Mary Beth and Kevin. So, I didn't have enough time for that long of a ride. I had planned on riding the metric century 62 mile route. But, I was holding my own with the Columbia group so I continued with them back to the Camden Historical Park and began the second loop with them. While we were riding the first loop we encountered a fairly tough headwind. We had assembled a pretty good "pace line". I had just completed my turn at the front so I peeled off and fell all the way to the back of the line. Soon I heard something hit the riders bike in front of me and then he rubbed tires with the guy in front of him and they both went down. I was only 3 feet behind him but in that fraction of a second I could envision me hitting the road again. Somehow, I dodged his back wheel as it went horizontal. I'm fully confident that the multitude of prayers that day on my behalf allowed for at least one miracle to be recognized. I turned around and came back to find that the first guy had knocked his computer off his bike. That was what hit the second guy's bike. He turned his head to look, swerved and they rubbed tires. After I saw that both were okay with just a few scratches I found and returned the first guy's computer. In the mishap one of them had a blowout. They had the necessary changing gear so I left to chase down the group. This years course was changed from last year and if we ever came by that spot where I wrecked last year, I never knew it. But that didn't prevent me from thinking about it for the entire ride.
On the second loop, I calculated where I needed to make the point to return and complete my metric century. I said my goodbyes to the gang, made a U-turn, and returned to the historic park by myself. Since I was doing pretty good on time, I slowed it down a little bit and cruised back in. As I pulled into the park, a thought ran through my mind so I texted it to Mary Beth, "its just a bike ride". Getting to the point where it became "just" a bike ride, was quite a challenge.
Ever since that dreaded day at the Tour de Camden in 2010, I never climb in the saddle without thinking will today be a repeat. Every rock, dip, speed bump, twig or piece of trash makes me wonder if I may be on my way down again. We all have challenges, some more obvious than others. What defines us is how we respond to those challenges. But thanks to the help of friends and family, I overcame this one challenge and was able to get back on that "carbon" horse and ride!
No comments:
Post a Comment