
(Owen and Jackson's shirts say "I can count to 140.6)
I went out for a swim in the beautifully clear Gulf yesterday. I spotted a huge stingray down below me and swam by more than one big jelly fish. They were freaky enough to alter my planned swim route. On my way down to swim, the first of the 2900 triathletes that I saw was Cindy Long (Yes, the same Cindy that aided me while I lay delirious on that Camden road 55 weeks ago). We enjoyed a hug and well wishes before getting on with our short workouts. I picked up my packet and then went out for a 10 mile bike ride. I rode out the race route for the first 5 miles. I know that my training levels have been way down this week so I have got to be storing up some energy. The first 5 miles were flat and fast. I was cruising at 19 and 20 with no effort at all. I thought "I am so ready for this". This pace seemed so easy to hold on to, and then I turned around. I found out why I had been cruising so easily. The wind pushed that "easy pace" down to a difficult 15 mph. I decided to take it easy and come back to the condo at whatever pace I could without working too hard. After being buffeted by the wind for a while I decided to pull off the road into an empty parking lot for a drink. I circled the lot and pulled out my water bottle. Then I glanced an island curb with my front wheel and went down in the shrubs. Boy, was I glad no one was watching. I checked out my new Zipps, brushed off my knee, chased down the water bottle, chuckled and climbed back in the saddle. Lesson for the day, don't be too confident in our own abilities and I'm glad I know how to get back on the bike after a tough spill.
"P-Day"
I woke up without the alarm clock this morning, had breakfast and then went down to the Expo and IM store. We wandered around the Expo area with Team Whetstone in tow. The grand kids had a good time making signs that read things like "Do Fast and Stuff" and "Go Big Daddy".

I came back to the condo, finished prepping my bike and packing the transition bags. Then Jackie, Christi and I went down to turn my bike into the transition area before the deadline. My bib number is 2789. Updates are available on ironmanlive.com. While I was looking through the race program book last night searching for the other Columbia area competitors, I wondered why my race number was after Rick's when I knew I had registered before Rick last year. After I found 3 or 4 of the Columbia folks I realized that the bib numbers were set in age order. There are 2900 of us here, and yes I am 111 from the top. When we went over to transition today, they were taking photos of your bikes as you turned them in. After they gave your bike back, there were volunteers directing you to the proper aisles for racking. The volunteer yelled out "bike number?" I said "2789" and he replied "oh, one of the old guys huh?" My thought was "gee, thanks". I was so glad to turn in the transition bags because with them comes a whole lot of anxiety. Now all I have to do is sit around and wait for my 8:30 PM bedtime. This "preparation" day is nicknamed "P-Day" by the full time LDS missionaries.

Jackie had the foresight to reserve us rooms overlooking the swim start out of one window and the transition area out of the other. Last year, as a spectator, the transition area music was my alarm clock but this year I'll be up long before it starts, I hope. The view from our balcony will allow for better observation of the athletes than being on the beach. They just cranked up the PA system for a test and I can hear it up here with the doors closed. Well, it's time to hit the sack. The forecast calls for 48 degrees at the start with 9 mph winds. Noon forecast calls for 64 degrees and 12-13 mph winds. Good thing I didn't dodge the windy day training rides.
No comments:
Post a Comment