Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Parris Island Triathlon
As in previous years, we enjoyed a kickoff to the triathlon season at the Parris Island Marine Corps Training Base. Christi, Hunter and I were competing along with 6 other triathletes from our Lexington group. This was my Grandson Hunter's first sprint distance triathlon. He and I have had 5 or 6 swim training sessions, 3 bike rides and 3 or 4 runs in preparation. Team Whetstone was able to observe each of us swim from the pool deck and were all impressed with Hunter's newly obtained swim technique. He and Christi started the swim separated by only 9 other swimmers. My swim time was 10:02 Hunter's was at 11:12. Pretty darn impressive!! Overall I was within 22 seconds of my time last year and we had a pretty tough headwind on the return leg of the bike course. After I finished I went out and helped the team cheer on Christi and Hunter. The rest of the Lexington group were already through. The benefit of having a late swim start time is you are able to have more cheerleaders. I ran the last 0.7 miles with Hunter and the last 0.2 with Christi. Hunter's finishing pace was very taxing to me. Christi bettered her time from last year by several minutes. Evidently she had a successful surgery. Mike Nininger impressed us all competing in his USMC recruit t-shirt, which was a little faded and worn out. Good thing that he could still fit in it. Tim Eichstaedt placed in his tough age group. I was also able to place as the senior member of my age group. Hunter overcame a spill on the bike and finished 3rd in his age group. Not too bad for his first event! Shall I predict that it won't be his last!!
More pictures on Mary Beth's blog
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment