Saturday, November 12, 2011

Ironman Race Day




Jackie and I headed down about 5:45 am to get body marked and to check my bike in transition one last time. We then went back up to the condo to find Team Whetstone gearing up for the day. Being at the host hotel allowed me to be able to walk right on to the beach just before the race start. With the national anthem playing to begin the day's events and participants and family gathered, my emotions were rising. I hugged my family good bye and couldn't help but feel their love and support.



The water temperature was 68 degrees but compared to the air it felt pretty good. We were told that the cross tow would push us left into the buoys so I decided to start wide to the right. As I reached the beach to start, it appeared everyone had the same idea so I pulled back to straight in line with the buoys. Even with that smaller crowd, I was being slapped, pulled and kicked just like in the "Cliff Bar triathlon start commercial" on YouTube (You gotta watch this). I felt the need to climb over a few neoprene clad bodies myself to get out of the crowd. Once I got left of the sight buoys, I realized how much I needed to calm down and get into my normal long swim rhythm. We used to tell our children that when they were scared or afraid that if they would sing a primary song they would be comforted. I took my own advice and began to sing "I Am a Child of God" in my head. I continued to sing primary songs off and on for the remainder of the swim. The beat of these songs worked pretty well with my stroke cadence.

As I exited the water and ran up the beach I laid on the sand so that a "peeler" could strip my wetsuit off. I then ran under the make-shift shower where I got my first woo-hoo's from Team Whetstone.



With the low 47 degree temperature, it required a thorough drying and a complete change to include long sleeve shirt, leg and toe warmers. I mounted my bike to face the forecasted 12-13 mph winds blowing from the NE. We rode through the high-rise building section of the strip for the first 6 miles that created a wind tunnel followed by 20 miles North and then 32 miles East. Nothing but head wind! About the time my legs felt they were zapped, along comes 3 car loads of Team Whetstone hooping and hollering out the windows. This brought on a smile that had been suppressed for a couple of hours.



At about mile 44 I made a left turn and noticed a bunch of blue shirts so busy organizing that they didn't yell to me so I called out to them. They responded with their normal whoops and hollers. Had I really caught the best cheer team out there off guard? Having spent one whole "intense" day as an official Team Whetstone member last year supporting Mike, I know there is always a lookout. So I road on down the road thinking "I wonder who is going to get fussed at for that one?"

At the bike half way I shed my long sleeve shirt, leg and toe warmers, refueled and took a potty break. This was the first one on the bike so I realized I needed to hydrate more. Craig and I exchanged a few words of support around mile 70, where we crossed paths. I came across one of the bottle exchange/trash dumps and threw out a half melted chocolate covered protein bar before I realized I was out of groceries. From that point on I grabbed every banana that I could. Before I even saw the sea of blue on the side of the rode, I heard the whoops and "go big daddy's" of the team. They were spread out along the road at about mile 90.



Knowing what a strong biker Rick is, my goal had been that I would finish the bike no more than 30 minutes behind him. Little did I know that the team was cheering for him just a couple miles behind me! It really surprised me when I heard his voice coming up beside me at about 93 miles. We sat up and rode together chatting for several miles but I knew he was ready to move ahead. I told him that I hoped to see him again before the day was over and he pulled ahead for a distance. We ended up riding pretty close together for the remainder of the bike. Despite the 13 mph wind, I ended up with my fastest 100 mile bike ride ever, averaging 18 mph. I entered the changing area just after Rick and we literally changed clothes cheek to cheek! (I know, TMI) From there I headed out on the run.

I got to see some of the team and get a hug from Kenny as he gave me my GPS watch. I tried to settle into a 10:30 pace but boy, did that ever feel slow. I walked through every single water stop and most every time I saw Team Whetstone. If I didn't walk with them I at least got some high fives and they got a few sweaty kisses. If my count is correct, Team Whetstone made their way around to see me 8 times on the run alone. If ever I needed to hear them cheering it was during the run. During an out and back portion, Rick and I came face to face. We exchanged encouragement and kept on going. The sections where runners were going in opposite directions on the same street were neat because you could see your friends coming at you. I came across Betty at one of these. But with a double loop course you didn't know whether they were on the first or second loop. It was pretty crowded in most sections though and I never saw Cindy. My head must have been too low when she came by.



(Skyping with Joe, Chelsea and Maggie from Virginia!)
At the 13 mile mark I was assisted with my special needs bag. The volunteer actually held my bag while I rummaged through it. I took my Gu and Electrolytes but opted out of the long sleeve shirt and gloves so as to stay a little cool. Believe it or not, I made it to this point before nightfall but the sun was fading fast. By the time I got back out to the state park it was pitch black dark. When you're so exhausted and it is completely dark it's almost impossible not to get discouraged. That's when the walk breaks became more regular. At the 19 mile marker all I could think about was the fact that I had only one loop out at LHS left. My mind said "you can do this, you do it every week" but my legs wouldn't listen.




According to my GPS, I was still under my goal pace for a 5 hour marathon. Somehow I had a 10 minute error on my watch. Don't ask me, I haven't got a clue. Each of the aid stations, on the run, had a theme which helped divert your mind away from those screaming leg muscles. The volunteers were awesome. From the little blue haired ladies at check-in to the young bucks running me down making sure I got what I asked for without having to stop. It had been awhile since I had seen the team and I wondered how they would be able to recognize me in the dark. So, I figured they had packed up and headed for the finish line. I remember vividly seeing mile marker 24 saying to myself I know I can run for 2.2 miles without walk breaks. However, 4 minutes later I was walking again. At mile 25 I remembered last year when we went to cheer for Mike, as he came around the corner with less than a half mile to go he was walking. I jumped right in there with "I know you are not going to walk to the finish line". (I know what you are thinking but, what are good friends for?) Pay back is usually tough so I just knew one of the team would be there holding up a sign from Mike saying "I know you are not going to walk to the finish line, Michael". They weren't there but just the thought motivated me to run that last 1.2 miles. Coming down the shoot with the music blaring, the announcer on the PA system and everyone screaming, I could still hear MY team cheering for me. In all the events I have participated in there is still no feeling like the feeling you get when you are totally spent and you hear those words, "Michael, you are an ironman".





After a cold piece of pizza, a Sprite (better than Gu and Power bars) a brief massage and a shower. I sat down to a wonderful plate of my wife's spaghetti. The family said their good nights and went to bed. Jackie and I went down to the finish line and helped support those who labored down the chute in the last hour. The finish line shut down at midnight. The last finisher that we cheered for came in at 16:58:32. Some of those at the end could not control their emotions. That's alright neither could we. What a wonderful day this had been, a new PR (I remember back when I kept setting PR's in the marathon), enjoying an event with friends, having prayers answered, having my family endure and enthusiastically support me every minute of this event and concluding the day supporting others with my arms wrapped around my sweetheart. What an awesome "tri-cation".

1 comment:

Marina said...

Tears. (Drip...drip) Not only are you an ironman, but you have an ironfamily!!! What a great example and experience!