Thursday, November 18, 2010

Friday Nov. 5 Panama City



The forecast is for 39 degrees as a low tonight and 63 for the high tomorrow. Pretty good for the Ironman if the winds die down. While checking in yesterday, we relocated our two rooms on the 20th floor to be on the same floor. When we got up to the room I found that not only did our balcony face the beach swim exit but our bedroom window faced the transition area. We could be lazy tomorrow and watch it all from here. I got up at about 7 this morning. Looked out the window and saw many wetsuited swimmers testing the Gulf water. I went for a whole mile run. A whole mile!!. It was tougher on my ribs than my shoulder. I had trouble getting a deep breath. At 9 I went down and got in line for the 2011 sign up. I saw Rick in the transition area getting ready to accept the bikes. I met two others standing with him. one of these was Craig Dunlavy. I left them and went to get in line only to be chased down by Craig. He joined me in line as he told me that he was with Cindy Long the morning of the Tour de Camden Ride. I thanked him for his help that morning. It appears that He and Cindy were some of the few that stuck around that morning to see that I got in the ambulance and off to the hospital okay. I can't tell all that he related, but will be glad to share some of that on a long run later this month. I hope that I relayed to him my thanks to he and Cindy for being there for me.
Called Mike just before sign up and told him I had a spot in line for him. I signed my name and gave over my Visa card. It's official. I have 365 days to get back in shape for IM Florida 2011 right here in Panama City. That's comforting to know. Otherwise spending time around all these prepared individuals would be unbearable.
Mary Beth and her family just arrived. Christi and her family are due within the hour. Joe and Chelsea's plane arrives at 7:30pm. I'm set for a no pressure evening tonight. Mike's brother, Stape, will be arriving tonight and Mike told him not to expect him to stay up late talking tonight, he plans on going to bed at 9:00pm. Bodymarking begins at 4:30am.
The attached photos are of me just outside the 2011 signup tent and the other is me, after getting Jackie's permission, committing to another year of training for IM 2011.

Michael Whetstone

No comments: