Monday, March 19, 2012

Parris Island Sprint Triathlon 2012



Well, it was only the best ever Parris Island Triathlon event that I have had. I was able to race with three lovely ladies and a bunch of other folks. Christi, Jessica and Mary Beth prepared themselves for their first triathlon of the 2012 season. The girls had an awesome showing too. Jessica finished third in her age group in the swim, Christi finished third in her novice group on the bike. Mary Beth and I finished fairly balanced across the three tri events with regard to our respective age groups. Mary Beth placed 9th, 9th, and 7th (S,B,R) while I finished 5th, 5th and 5th. This is particularly unusual for me because I have always been such a weak cyclist. I will gladly accept this consistency as an improvement though. Either I'm becoming a more rounded (no smart elic comments here) triathlete or I'm just slowing down on the run. Or maybe it's both. Team Whetstone took a serious hit this weekend though, with some of our most vocal members out there competing. Jackie had to jog-hop-jog-hop (contrary to doctors orders) from one corner to the other to keep up with all the goings and comings.


I took a look back at last year's results after Mary Beth showed me what her time improvements were. My times were pretty close : Swim -4 sec. , T1 +1 sec., bike -35 sec., T2 +6 sec., run -7 sec.. Overall I was 39 seconds faster than last year. Jackie commented that I "was pretty predictable", but I don't think that she was referring to my race times. I know that I pushed pretty hard on the bike (knowing that IM Lisa Powell was right behind me and about to pass at any moment) and ended up with an above 20 mph average, which might be a new PR for me. The best part of the event for me though was the last .3 to .4 mile of the run because I got to finish the race four wonderful times.

everyone's favorite reason to love Parris Island (cheering at EVERY lap)


Mary Beth's swim


Christi's swim


Jessica's swim


Michael:
Swim 9:56 Bike 31:52 Run 22:29 Chip Time: 1:07:21

Mary Beth:
Swim 11:44 Bike 39:15 Run 26:01 Chip Time: 1:19:54

Jessica:
Swim 11:41 Bike 43:23 Run 27:57 Chip Time: 1:26:05

Christi:
Swim 14:25 Bike 38:52 Run 29:11 Chip Time: 1:32:33


Again this year we visited Hunting Island State Park and made our trication a little more exciting for the kids.

No comments: